Phase 3 : Consolidation
This is the most difficult phase of them all because it decides whether you will maintain the weight you obtained so far and lose some more or gain what you lost back with something extra.
What you have to do:
- Know that it has a fixed number of days : 10 days for every kilogram you lost
- Same routine of protein and vegetables without alternating. You can introduce one serving of fruit ( excepting bananas, grapes and nuts)and one of light cheese daily. Once a week you are allowed to have one serving of starchy foods ( potatoes, pasta, lentils…etc)
- You are allowed 2 slices of whole bread daily.
- 2 meals /week of vacation from dieting, meaning at this two meals you are allowed to eat whatever you like. It does not matter the time of day you do this, just keep the feasting to 1 meal/ day and do not do that two consecutive days.
- The Thursday of every week must be protein only day.
- 25 minutes of walking or any physical activity.
- Water amount and bran oats remain mandatory.
This phase prepares the body for the final stage and if managed correctly will get you slowly but surely to a permanent weight loss. Most importantly is to introduce the new foods gradually so your body will have time to adjust.
You will feel hungrier and won’t lose weight in the same pace you were used to. Also issues like temptation and not sticking exactly to the program are bound to appear.
Phase 4: Stabilization
You can consider that the diet is done. However you should keep in mind 3 golden rules for the rest of your life.
- The Thursday of every week remains protein only day.
- Walking is mandatory so replace the elevator with climbing the stairs.
- 3 spoons of bran oats will be part of your life for as long as you plan to keep your gained weight loss.
The bottom line :
Statistically if you go through all the phases as Dr. Dukan thought them the weight loss is sure to happen. The body will get used to a new lifestyle and the weight loss will be constant. It is indeed a miracle diet especially because stars like J Lo showed that results can appear extremely fast even after you get birth.
It shows good results for losing belly and tie fat and so decreases the chance of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Because of the high protein intake the diet is far from being healthy. The cholesterol levels are bound to raise and also the ketosis and the predisposition for gout present a risk for your health.
Depriving the body of essential nutrients and fibers can alter the chemistry of your digestive system and increase the risk of colon cancer.
All this being said, you should keep in mind that Dukan diet, like any diet out there may work wonders for some while for others it can result only in mild weight loss.