Posted on 03 November 2013.
Phase 3 : Consolidation
This is the most difficult phase of them all because it decides whether you will maintain the weight you obtained so far and lose some more or gain what you lost back with something extra.
What you have to do:
- Know that it has a fixed number of days : 10 days for every kilogram you lost
- Same routine of protein and vegetables without alternating. You can introduce one serving of fruit ( excepting bananas, grapes and nuts)and one of light cheese daily. Once a week you are allowed to have one serving of starchy foods ( potatoes, pasta, lentils…etc)
- You are allowed 2 slices of whole bread daily.
- 2 meals /week of vacation from dieting, meaning at this two meals you are allowed to eat whatever you like. It does not matter the time of day you do this, just keep the feasting to 1 meal/ day and do not do that two consecutive days.
- The Thursday of every week must be protein only day.
- 25 minutes of walking or any physical activity.
- Water amount and bran oats remain mandatory.
This phase prepares the body for the final stage and if managed correctly will get you slowly but surely to a permanent weight loss. Most importantly is to introduce the new foods gradually so your body will have time to adjust.
You will feel hungrier and won’t lose weight in the same pace you were used to. Also issues like temptation and not sticking exactly to the program are bound to appear.
Phase 4: Stabilization
You can consider that the diet is done. However you should keep in mind 3 golden rules for the rest of your life.
- The Thursday of every week remains protein only day.
- Walking is mandatory so replace the elevator with climbing the stairs.
- 3 spoons of bran oats will be part of your life for as long as you plan to keep your gained weight loss.
The bottom line :
Statistically if you go through all the phases as Dr. Dukan thought them the weight loss is sure to happen. The body will get used to a new lifestyle and the weight loss will be constant. It is indeed a miracle diet especially because stars like J Lo showed that results can appear extremely fast even after you get birth.
It shows good results for losing belly and tie fat and so decreases the chance of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Because of the high protein intake the diet is far from being healthy. The cholesterol levels are bound to raise and also the ketosis and the predisposition for gout present a risk for your health.
Depriving the body of essential nutrients and fibers can alter the chemistry of your digestive system and increase the risk of colon cancer.
All this being said, you should keep in mind that Dukan diet, like any diet out there may work wonders for some while for others it can result only in mild weight loss.
Posted in Diet & Health
Posted on 01 July 2013.
It seems that in the top trendy diets for this summer, Dukan Diet pretty much rules. Let’s see why and most importantly let’s see what should one expect.
Since Dukan is pretty much similar to what in the 60’s was called the “ hunter/ gatherer diet” you can bet that if you stick to it, it will show results in a short period of time. However…like any diet there is a risk that the result will not appear as fast as they do on somebody else. Keep in mind that every body type is unique so make sure you have realistic expectations.
Phase 1 : Attack
The name is mighty accurate because you actually put your body in the attack mode.
What you have to do:
- Must eat only permitted foods : grilled lean meats ( beef, chicken, rabbit), deli meats also lean, 0%fat milk products, fish and sea fruit also grilled or smoked, eggs(boiled or oil free omelet), coffee, tea, spices (salt is allowed but in very little amount to avoid water retention)
- You’re not allowed to eat : oils, bread and related, sugar, vegetables, fruits and anything else containing these elements
- Must drink at least 1l of water daily
- Must eat one and a half spoon of bran oats daily
- 20 minute walks daily ( at least)
5 days of attack phase help you lose 2-5 kg and extending the period to 10 days will help you lose up to 8 kg. However for the sake of your health it is forbidden to extend the phase longer than 10 days.
Rapid weight loss it good for moral.
You can never go hungry because of the high protein intake combined with oats bran and fluids.
The diet is extremely strict. One bite from any food other than the ones allowed ruins the result.
In the absence of physical activity the result tends to be delayed.
High risk of constipation due to the high protein intake and lack of fibers.
Phase 2 : Cruise
The diet lightens up but it continues to change the metabolism. You will start to alternate the days of Attack diet – protein only with the days of Cruise diet –protein + vegetables.
What you have to do :
- Decide on the alternating periods duration . For example if you decide to go for 1 day protein only, 1 day protein+ veggies and so on the result will be moderate. However the weight loss will increase in case you increase the alternating time ( ex: 5 days Attack, 5 days Cruise)
- Allowed vegetables : anything green, anything rich in fibers. Big exceptions: potatoes, beans, peas, lentils and corn. Avocado is also allowed.
- Veggies must be cooked in steam, boiled, grilled or consumed raw. You are not allowed to fry any of them. Oils are still forbidden. Spices are allowed and recommended.
- Must use your common sense and eat only your fill and make no excesses when eating vegetables.
- Increase the physical activity ( walks, yoga, cycling) duration to 60 minutes daily.
- Water and oats remain mandatory.
The diet gets a bit easier for those sick of so much protein.
The weight loss becomes constant and result continues to be very motivating.
This is the time when people give up especially because it very likely for the weight to stagnate or occur in a lot smaller amount.
Posted in Diet & Health, Feature