It seems that in the top trendy diets for this summer, Dukan Diet pretty much rules. Let’s see why and most importantly let’s see what should one expect.
Since Dukan is pretty much similar to what in the 60’s was called the “ hunter/ gatherer diet” you can bet that if you stick to it, it will show results in a short period of time. However…like any diet there is a risk that the result will not appear as fast as they do on somebody else. Keep in mind that every body type is unique so make sure you have realistic expectations.
Phase 1 : Attack
The name is mighty accurate because you actually put your body in the attack mode.
What you have to do:
- Must eat only permitted foods : grilled lean meats ( beef, chicken, rabbit), deli meats also lean, 0%fat milk products, fish and sea fruit also grilled or smoked, eggs(boiled or oil free omelet), coffee, tea, spices (salt is allowed but in very little amount to avoid water retention)
- You’re not allowed to eat : oils, bread and related, sugar, vegetables, fruits and anything else containing these elements
- Must drink at least 1l of water daily
- Must eat one and a half spoon of bran oats daily
- 20 minute walks daily ( at least)
5 days of attack phase help you lose 2-5 kg and extending the period to 10 days will help you lose up to 8 kg. However for the sake of your health it is forbidden to extend the phase longer than 10 days.
Rapid weight loss it good for moral.
You can never go hungry because of the high protein intake combined with oats bran and fluids.
The diet is extremely strict. One bite from any food other than the ones allowed ruins the result.
In the absence of physical activity the result tends to be delayed.
High risk of constipation due to the high protein intake and lack of fibers.
Phase 2 : Cruise
The diet lightens up but it continues to change the metabolism. You will start to alternate the days of Attack diet – protein only with the days of Cruise diet –protein + vegetables.
What you have to do :
- Decide on the alternating periods duration . For example if you decide to go for 1 day protein only, 1 day protein+ veggies and so on the result will be moderate. However the weight loss will increase in case you increase the alternating time ( ex: 5 days Attack, 5 days Cruise)
- Allowed vegetables : anything green, anything rich in fibers. Big exceptions: potatoes, beans, peas, lentils and corn. Avocado is also allowed.
- Veggies must be cooked in steam, boiled, grilled or consumed raw. You are not allowed to fry any of them. Oils are still forbidden. Spices are allowed and recommended.
- Must use your common sense and eat only your fill and make no excesses when eating vegetables.
- Increase the physical activity ( walks, yoga, cycling) duration to 60 minutes daily.
- Water and oats remain mandatory.
The diet gets a bit easier for those sick of so much protein.
The weight loss becomes constant and result continues to be very motivating.
This is the time when people give up especially because it very likely for the weight to stagnate or occur in a lot smaller amount.